(954) 467-3507. Visiting hours by appointment only

Site Content


In the U.S., you can apply for and renew a passport or a national ID card at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington DC, or at the Consulate General in New York.  We recommend that you apply for/renew a passport/national ID-card well in advance, before it expires or you need to travel. Many countries require 3 or 6 months validity of passports for entry. Please note that appointments can normally be made up to 2 months in advance.   Swedish citizens can also apply for/renew a passport/national ID card while visiting Sweden. You apply for this at a police station. For further passport information visit website


A temporary passport can be issued at the Consulate by appointment  should your Swedish passport get lost, stolen or be expired. Please contact us to make an appointment. The fee is $170 and you need to bring 2 passport photos with you. website


Before applying for a Swedish passport for a child born outside of Sweden, you must first apply for a coordination number, which is done by submitting an application in person at the Embassy or a Swedish Consulate.  The child must be present when the application is filed, and must be accompanied by at least one legal guardian. Read more about the process and required documents at the Swedish Embassy's website.
Please contact the Consulate in order to make an appointment to apply for a coordination number.  


If you are a Swedish citizen and were born and are a resident abroad, there are some circumstances under which you may lose your Swedish citizenship. To avoid losing your Swedish citizenship, you can apply to retain it. You must do this after you have turned 18 but before you reach the age of 22.
You apply by filling in the form Ansökan om att få behålla svenskt medborgarskap, no. 302021. Submit the application to your closest Swedish Embassy or Consulate. For further information, visit the Swedish Migration Agency's website 


The Consulate will notarize these documents. You need to bring the form and a valid ID.